Pages

Monday, July 18, 2011

Estimated and Actual Cost of building a New House in Maharashtra? What is the per sq feet construction cost? Building a small beautiful bungalow


This blog is for people who want to build their dream house. I am sure information on this blog will help all readers looking for information on building new house/bungalow.
After a lot of delay, I returned back in 2017 to update this blog with actual costs and actual photos of my house. Hope the details help. Please reach out to me in case you'll need more details and I will be glad to help.

View of my house after full completion (House interior photos and house plan are at the end of the blog)

Completed Dream house
House view@night
 

Process:
I have started building a new house from Jul-2-2011 in my native place and want to share my experience so that people building new house are well equipped.
The ground floor of my house is 1BHK and the first floor is 2BHK. The entrance to staircase is from inside the hall of ground floor as well as from outside. Depending on which door you use, the 1st floor flat can be treated as an independent house or both 1st and 2nd floor can be treated as one house. The house also has a terrace with a shade, 2 balcony and a big verandah where we love to sit on the swinging chair.


I consulted an architect for a house plan.The contract for building the house was then given to a contractor. The labour charge is fixed per sq feet (Rs. 140/sq ft) and the material cost would be borne my me. The labour cost was around Rs. 170/sq ft but since we chose to build 2 floors we managed to discuss and reduce the cost to Rs 140/sq ft.

Further we started the construction in raining season as the rain water helped in watering the RCC pillars and slabs when they were constructed. The house built was thus very strong and we even extended the pillars above in terrace slightly so that we can extend one more floor if ever required in future.
Things to remember when basic structure is being built
* When the foundation was being built, we even did pest control by drilling holes and pouring pesticide so that the house we be terminte/pests free.
* When the concrete slabs are being put you can put ample iron rings (for fans, jhula etc)
* Engage your electrician to get the basic pipes fitted for concealed wiring
* Decide on the capacity of water tank you want below and its location. We planned the water tank below our staircase.
* Location of septic tank

Each and every material was then bought to our quality satisfaction. It suprising to see how costly interior materials can be. We ensured that we used good quality tiles (Double charged) and grantie. Even the toilet fittings were very good qualtiy ones.
 
Location: The location of the house in a small village named Rasal (2-3 kms from Pali), Sudhagad Taluka, Raigad

Cost :
I tracked my estimated cost versus actual cost so that readers are well aware of the financial aspect of house building. It was a nightmare to find the per sq. feet cost of construction. There is no standard figure available and rightly so. The construction cost ranges for around Rs 800 per Sq Feet to Rs 1,200 per Sq Feet. My estimate is around Rs. 720 per Sq Feet. I was not sure if I have missed out anything. The current prices for Steel, cement, dabar, sand etc and the quantity required to build my house was estimated. The rough estimate from my architect was 
* Steel - 4800 kg
* Khadi - 18 Brass
* Sand - 21 Brass
* Dabar - 7 Brass
* Cement - 700 bags

Another nice way to calculate the construction cost of the house is by using the below calculator.
http://www.acchelp.in/cost-calculators.aspThe above site has an estimate of
Rs. 688 per sq feet as the construction cost of a new medium quality house in Raigad, Maharashtra.

i) Actual Cost

Items  Quantity Unit Cost(Rs)  % of Total
Steel with Transport 5206.8 kg 216607.8 14.21%
Khadi 16 Brass 30200 1.98%
Sand 37.5 Brass 125600 8.24%
Dabar 6 Brass 9000 0.59%
Cement + Neru Gold + Transport 707 Bags 186895 12.26%
JCP Machine Rent + Clay 19800 1.30%
Bricks +Thokla bricks 24500 126150 8.28%
DoubleCharge tiles  + Kitchen and Bathroom tiles 117960 7.74%
Bathroom tiles 19505 1.28%
Painting - Exterior 0.00%
Painting - Interior 36064 2.37%
Plumbing 41347 2.71%
Doors 58429 3.83%
Windows 23100 1.52%
Grills 23000 1.51%
Granite + Kadapa + Marble staircase 51930 3.41%
commode(2) 12000 0.79%
Sink 0.00%
washbasin 0.00%
TerraceWater Proofing + Tiles 0.00%
Electricals 57500 3.77%
Miscellaneous 46149 3.03%
Decorative 0.00%
Architecture Design 8000 0.52%
Labour 315000 20.67%
Total 1524236.8 100.00%

Note: Around 5 lakh of cost is yet to be added... roof/shade for terrace.. exterior paint, upper floor paint etc.. so the total is around 20 lakhs

 
Actual Photo of Site while it was being built: You can see that the basic structure was built within 4-5 months.
 
 

06-Oct-2011
02-Oct-2011


28-Sep-2011
 

27-Sep-2011

 

17-Sep-2011: After Slab (First Slab was put on 14-Sep-2011)



7-Sep-2011: Before Slab (First Slab was put on 14-Sep-2011)


   
\


28-Aug-2011:

 19-Aug-2011:

 10-Aug-2011:





01-Aug-2011:



27-Jul-2011:



22-Jul-2011:


17-Jul-2011:



Interior Photos of my house:


 Terrace

 Ground Floor Hall
 1st Floor Bed Room with Balcony
 1st Floor Hall
 1st Floor Hall with Balcony
 1st Floor Toilet

Plan:
We initially planned for only 1BHK ground floor but then increased one more level with another 2BHK house above. We are being helped for the plan by the son of my Dad's friend.
i) Ground Floor Plan:Shortly coming
ii) 1st Storey Plan:


38 comments:

प्रकाश बा. पिंपळे said...

post baddal thanks. it helped me. let's see how much it diverts in my case too!

Rahul Jagtap said...

Thanks for your comment Prakash and I am glad that it helped you.
There is more information which I will be putting on my site. Each and every material with estimated and actual cost. So far I am on track with very little deviations and the house is turning out to be too good.

Anonymous said...

Where is this place where you are building the house? village, district etc.

This will be useful for many, could you also post the various permissions that you had to procure and how, including electricity, sewage etc., was managed how.

Rahul Jagtap said...

Hey,

I am building the house in village its 95% done. Just that I have not been able to post the latest photo.

The permissions weren't much since the house is in village. But I will surely post it soon.

My main aim is for people to be able to estimate the things that go into building a house (labour charge, tons of steel, cement and all those "hidden costs")..

विकास माळवे said...

Hi Rahul. thank you very much for your blog it. i wants to know one thing which of foll. option is good.
1. buying new home
2. buying a plot/land and building home.
considering i don't have too much amount in cash.
i want to buy/build home in Nashik or Pune what would you suggest??

Rahul Jagtap said...

Thats a difficult question Vikas.

Analyse the resources you have to decide what best suits you.
Money wise I don;t think there should be much difference. Doing something yourself should definitely be cheaper but it requires your time and research so that you take appropriate decisions.

Buying a new home has the following pros
1. Hassel free and no extra time
2. You know what you are buying

But buying a plot and building a new house has the following pros
1. You can customize as much as you want during building the house or even after
2. You can choose the quality of material you put in your house depending on your budget

But you need to spend a lot of time for building your own house. Luckily for me, my father who is now retired helped me a lot and literally managed overseeing the construction at site

Anonymous said...

Do you have contacts who do stone wall fencing at your place - i have a place in Tala Raigad and am planning to develop it. Any inputs on fencing and bore will be helpful.

Anonymous said...

Hi,
I have been doing some research to figure out the cost of construction. Came across this blog. Really impressed with the progress of work. In about 2mnths the first floor slab was already casted. Could you please share the contractor details.

Thanks and Regards,
Vinay.

Anonymous said...

My self harshad ....want to get more info... My cell no 9821736099

foam generator manfacturer india said...

please construction with Eco Friendly construction material and economically and easy construction is good.. we are the leading manufacturers of the green friendly bricks like clc the light weight and sound proof and heat proof with low cost and easy, early construction support.. So please think about bricks our website light weight bricks making machinery in india

Unknown said...

I want to build one story house in my netive place what is estimated cost

Unknown said...

I want to build one story house in my netive place what is estimated cost

Unknown said...

I am Pratap, would like to construct low budget home, I have a plot of 40x 30 ft , is it possible to built ground + 1 story building with out roc construction, if yes what would be method to be used , if not suggest pl.
my budget is 7 lakhs max.

Regards
Pratap

Unknown said...


How much is the plot area ?

Unknown said...

Thank you so much Rahul..... your post helps me a lot in my house construction..

Rahul Jagtap said...

My pleasure..

Rahul Jagtap said...

The plot is 40x60

Rahul Jagtap said...

Yes, Pratap. You can build 1 storey with out RCC.
If you check the below photo url, I think the house next to me is not rcc and 1 storey
https://3.bp.blogspot.com/-C1tBzqVKxY4/To3kiql4y-I/AAAAAAAAD2I/RqfZo66PwpY/s1600/ActualHouseConstruction28Sep2011.JPG
I cannot comment on the cost as I am not aware of the cost as of now. However you can easily calculate the cost my looking at my actual numbers and replacing it with the per unit cost as of now.

Rahul Jagtap said...

Cost differs for each house based on various factors.
You can estimate by looking at my house and the actual cost I have listed at that point in time

Unknown said...

Sir, may I know what is Dambar and Khadi, these are mentioned in the list of items.

Rahul Jagtap said...

Khadi means stones. Dabar are the big stones used at the bottom to elevate house

Anonymous said...

Great post. Thank you for the post

Jessye Lee said...

We are providing bets quality of Shower Enclosures like Corner Shower Enclosures, Quadrant Shower Enclosures, Walk in Shower Enclosures, Glass Shower Enclosures, Frameless Shower Enclosures, Offset Shower Enclosures, Custom, Sliding, Frameless Glass Shower Doors, Shower Screen, Shower Trays, Shower Cubicles etc with bets design, shape and size with very reasonable price contact sale2@dabbl.com more information visit here Shower Cubicle, Shower Enclosures, Shower Doors, Shower Room

House Construction said...

Nice post.it will be very interesting and informative to us.we have a news about real estate information.

Unknown said...

Really it's very helpful information,
For me,
I'm very confused because of I'm also going to build my Dream home,

Rahul Jagtap said...

M glad it helped you

Rahul Jagtap said...

Thank yiu

Rahul Jagtap said...

Thank you and all the best

Vishal Singh said...

Thanks a lot for packing all the relevant information. Photos of the building during the various stages of construction is much appreciated.
Cheers
Vishal

Vishal Singh said...

Thanks a lot for packing all the relevant information. Photos of the building during the various stages of construction is much appreciated.
Cheers
Vishal

Unknown said...

Around 750 per sqft, isn't it too less sir ?

Rahul Jagtap said...

It was built in 2011. You can check the excel above for materials used and multiply with today’s rate of raw materials and labour.

Rahul Jagtap said...

Your welcome

Rahul Jagtap said...

Just to add. While I estimated 750, mine was almost rs. 900 per sq ft.

Mandy said...

If you want to get the best Builder in London then Vetted Trades Online is going to be a perfect online platform for you which can help you to get in touch with well-skilled service providers in London.

Anonymous said...

Nice informative article. Good work!

House Lifting Services in India said...

Thanks for the informative article! waiting for your next post.- building lifting service in chennai

Anonymous said...

Your welcome… now that it is almost 10 years old.. people will have to apply inflation factor and calculate the costs for similar house based on the costs incurred by me at that time