Pages

Friday, June 6, 2008

It's Raining! It's Raining!

The first rain hit mumbai on June 4th. The flashes in the sky signalled its arrival. Somewhere around 9:30 pm rains started.
Today (6th June), It was raining heavily before I left the office at 7:00 pm. There were thunders and lightning all evening. While I was driving back home the rains brought back happy memories of past years. We used to get drenched during the first rains in mumbai and urge others to get wet too as if it was a ritual to do so. It's a great experience to raise your face towards the sky and let the rain droplets hit you. Today's downpour would have brought smile on faces of millions of mumbaites who have been facing the extreme heat and humidity for a few months now.
One thing which concerned me was the demolition drive just a week before in Matunga West. This demolition drive left many people homeless. Although most of the people moved to other places, many were still living on the pavements. They had made makeshift roofs which I am sure would not sustain the mumbai rains even for a day. Suddenly, the government policy of giving houses to slum dwellers started making some sense to me.

2 comments:

Nidhi Kadam said...

I am a lover of rains and rainbows since my childhood.

Luckily, I enjoyed day-time unexpected rains causing beautiful rainbows in "God's own country"-Kerala.

I felt bad when I saw major destructions due to heavy rains in Delhi(for 2 yrs) and Bhopal(for many yrs). It's most distressful and unfortunately expected news during every year's rain that in some or the other villages either crops(or the whole villages) destroyed due to heavy rains/flood.

This was my 2nd year in Mumbai to enjoy the "Mumbai-rains". And I enjoyed like a child who does not know much about the world.

My idea is -
It's so romantic to walk without umbrella in slow rain (even while going to office ;-)).
And my elder brother (married, born and brought up in Mumbai) says-
Sit with your partner at any sea-shore/beach in mumbai and talk for hours. This will give you immense pleasure even after years of your marriage.

If you are one of the rain-lovers, you will get to write at least one page in your personal diary on each day it rains in Mumbai.

My another idea -
Due to Jul 26th,2006 heavy rains in Mumbai, now you get an easy off from offices/schools/colleges, so you will get enough time to enjoy the "Mumbai-rains". The spirit of Mumbaikars remains quite high because they get such "off" "often" throughout the lovely rainy season :)

Rahul Jagtap said...

I really liked what your elder brother says and I am looking forward to doing exactly the same thing (ofcourse after finding some time from my hectic schedule).

I am sure you enjoyed the rainbows you saw in Kerala.
I luv rainbows too and am planning to try and capture one in my camera the next time I spot it. Its been quite sometime since I have seen a rainbow. Probably this indicates that I should be taking more vacations:)